Saturday, May 2, 2009

Thirsty doves quench his 'Soul'

This story which you read below was the first I wrote for the Bangalore Mirror Edition on June 23rd , 2007. The BM was launched on the 15th of June 2007 and since I liked writing soft human interest stories, I caught on this story during my early morning visit to Cubbon Park on June 22nd 2007 morning, only to see thousands of pigeons surrounding a man patiently pouring water into pots kept at various points of the High Court lawns facing the Vidhan Soudha. I got very curious and tried to get closer to talk to him only to scare the pigeons. So I first captured all the pictures I needed and waited for another half an hour or so, for the man could get free and was available to speak to me. Below is what transpired between him and me.

Many Bangaloreans love that morning walk through the serene environs of Cubbon Park. Those taking the route through the High Court road often see pigeons being fed grains and crushed corn by bird enthusiasts and morning walkers.
But if you spot hundreds of pigeons fluttering around one particular man, it's not because of 'something special' that he's feeding them. He's the man responsible for quenching their thirst. For 52 year old Shivalinge Gowda, this act of his is not just therapeutic, it's something he says has changed his life.
Gowda places little clay water bowls on the premises of the High Court lawns and fills them with water to feed the pigeons during his morning walk.
That he's surrounded by so many birds every time he walks there is proof that they are thirsty too. It all began three years ago, when Gowda - at that time an emotionally broken man - accidentally took a stroll through the High Court lawns and was surprised to see many people feeding the doves, but not quenching their thirst.

"Feeding is a good form of charity, but leaving them without water does not complete the circle of charity. I decided to take up the task, providing them with water. It makes me feel good that they don't feel thirsty," Gowda Says. Gowda's novel form of charity begins at 7:15 am every day and continues for over an hour. "I have bought a plastic pot and clay water bowls and personally carry water to feed these birds," he explained. This philanthropic work has brought its own rewards, said Gowda. "I don't know how, but I have regained my lost happiness and I have become stronger emotionally and mentally."

No comments: